Tuesday, November 28, 2006

More isn't always better, sometimes it's just more


In one of my favorite movies of all time Sabrina, Harrison Ford plays a character named Linus, a workaholic, stoic man with a less than dry sense of humor. Linus takes Sabrina by jet out to his family’s cottage in Nantucket. On the way, Sabrina is marveling at the plane.

“Do you ever look out the windows?” Sabrina asks.
“I don’t have time to look out the window. I’m working,” Linus replies and looks down at his work.
“What about all the time we saved by taking the helicopter?”
Linus shrugs and smiles, “I guess I’m just saving it up”
“No you’re not,” Sabrina replies.

I think about all of the ways things have been streamlined and made more efficient in the past century. I remember reading in my history books about how things like vacuum cleaners and dishwashers changed American culture, and that for the first time people had free time. I think about how nowadays we have faster, more efficient everything: faster cars, faster internet, faster food. And what do we do with all that extra time?? Where the hell does it go? I really have no idea how more + faster somehow = less, but it does. I find the older I get, the more anal I am about my time. I think that’s why I get so pissed when I get stuck in traffic. I’m thinking to myself “You assholes are stealing my life away because you can’t drive a damn car correctly.” It’s kind of the same thing with my work. Sometimes I think I work because I like to work. Sometimes I think it’s because I like what I do. Then sometimes I sit back for a minute and realize that I work 8 hours a day so I can come home and hang out with my husband from 6:30 when he gets home until 9 when I get tired because I’ve gotten up so early to go to work. That’s 8 hours a day I spend at work so I can enjoy 2.5 hours doing what I really want to do. Where did all the time go?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sabrina is also one of my favorites, but I prefer the Audrey Hepburn original. Good post.

Anonymous said...

one of the things that bothers me about tis culture of bigger, stronger, faster is that we really do have a choice. we don't have to keep up. but we forget that and keep going. it reminds me of the line in "SLC Punk" where the dad says "i didn't sell out son, i bought in." i think i buy in every day in some small way or another.

on another note, i am almost done with "A Prayer for Owen Meany" and I totally didn't see the dad coming. i am being a bit clandestine to avoid giving anything away to someone who may want to read it. fantastic book. i love it and i love you.

-josh w.

Dena said...

Often times I think, 'I can't believe I spend basically 10 hours at work a day(9 hours with lunch, plus driving time) and way less than that with my husband or anything else. It pisses me off if I think about it too long. I spend the majority of my life working at my job or sleeping, and way less than that doing anything else. its pretty sad to me.

Liz said...

Steph- *blush* I actually haven't seen the original, but would like to in the near future.

Yosh- Good quote from SLC Punk. I definitely buy in a little bit every day. And that's why I hate my father.

Isn't that the craziest curve-ball?? I totally didn't expect it either, but it's fantastic. And you're fantastic. And I love you too! And your beautiful wife! I'm using lots of !!!!'s!

Dena- I feel the same exact way.

as a side note, what is your email? if you feel uncomfortable posting it you can send me a blank email to lizrwells@gmail.com.