Wednesday, November 22, 2006

If you like 1984, or just dislike George Bush

Check this out.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

5 comments:

Mark C Tubbs said...

Hiya Liz - I'm still around :)
Coastliners by Joanne Harris is a good novel, one of her lesser known, which is probably why I enjoyed it so much. A very unpredictable, natural story. Take it from this English teacher - it's a good one.

Blessings,
Mark

Liz said...

mark- glad to see you back!

thanks for the suggestion. i've been on a reading hiatus for quite some time, but now that i'm back in the swing of it i'll have to check that out. and while we're on the subject: who is your favorite author? i think right now i am torn between john irving and john steinbeck. 'a prayer for owen meany' and 'east of eden' are probably my two favorite books of all time- although 'house of the spirits' by isabelle allende isn't far behind.

Mark C Tubbs said...

Hi again Liz!

Before I delve into marking some Shakespeare essays, let me answer your question, which for me has two-prongs: favourite (sorry, Canadian spelling) classic author and favourite contemporary author.

My favourite classic author is Charlotte Bronte (Jane Eyre) but I also really enjoyed Ulysses by James Joyce, which I think would appeal to your artistic personality.

My favourite contemporary author is Joanne Harris but I also really enjoyed The Cure for Death by Lightning by Gail Anderson-Dargatz. One character's nickname is Filthy Billy. I think you would find him amusing and intriguing.

Sadly, Steinbeck makes me melancholy and I'm not really one for ultra-spare prose (they call Hemingway's writing 'muscular'). Of Steinbeck's stuff, I've read Of Mice & Men and Grapes of Wrath. Irving is on my "Must Read One Day" list but One Day hasn't yet come...

Back to the Big Bad Bard.

Blessings,
Mark

Liz said...

I really enjoyed Jane Eyre, but liked Pride and Prejudice more (I liken myself to Elizabeth Bennet in all her stubbornness). I haven't heard of any other of the books you suggested, but will do some research and give them a try.

oh those are the worst of john steinbeck! really, you have to give east of eden a shot, then you can write him off. the character development and biblical allegory are fabulous. i also enjoyed his book 'to a god unknown' which has a strong anthropomorphic theme, but can be painstaking in his tendency to overdescribe landscape.

what is a 'bard'?

Mark C Tubbs said...

Hi Liz,

Isn't it ironic that I'm procrastinating marking Shakespeare essays (a 'bard' is a medieval poet/singer, and Shakespeare is known as 'The Bard') by talking about novels?

I will be sure to give Mr. Steinbeck another try (if he promises to shave off his pencil mustache that is). I vaguely remember writing off East of Eden when Oprah picked it up for her bookclub...but I will resurrect it on your say-so, Liz.

Ulysses and Cure for Death by Lightning are absolute must-reads. They will keep you going for a while, especially when you are a poor struggling college student:)

I recall thinking that Bronte in Jane Eyre tends to "be painstaking in her tendency to overdescribe landscape" - okay, not overdescribe, but certainly comprehensively describe.

Blessings,
Mark