Did it drink of the darkness? Did it suck out all the poisons accumulated with the years? …The entire operation was not unlike the digging of a trench in one’s yard.
And then afterwards:
The bloodstream in this woman was new…someone else’s blood there. If only someone else’s flesh and brain and memory. If only they could have taken her mind along to the dry cleaner’s and emptied the pockets and steamed and cleansed it and reblocked it and brought it back in the morning. If only…
The pain in their marriage is so heavy from the very beginning. You can tell that he really hates the way that their marriage is and really wants to change it, but Mildred (his wife) is very shallow and seems incapable of engaging about anything painful. The next morning he tries to talk to her about the incident.
“You took all the pills in your bottle last night.”
“Oh, I wouldn’t do that,” she said, surprised.
“The bottle was empty.”
“I wouldn’t’ do a thing like that. Why would I do a thing like that?” she said.
“I don’t know,” he said.
She was quite obviously waiting for him to go. “I didn’t do that,” she said. “Never in a billion years.”
I know I've said this before, but I am so prone to shutting down when things get tough. Just the other day I was on the phone with Clint and he brought up a touchy subject from back when we started dating- totally not a big deal anymore, water under the bridge – and I got pissed and shut the conversation down. I hung up the phone and sat there for the next ten minutes trying to figure out what in the hell was my problem. And then it hit me: I didn’t want to be reminded of a time that I was in the wrong. I didn’t want to think about how amazingly ugly I had been. I had totally erased the painful memory from my mind and having it brought up made me go into a sort-of denial. It was like: if we don’t talk about this, then it never really happened…
I was talking to some friends last night about a girlfriend of mine that couldn’t be in my wedding because she checked herself into an eating disorder clinic. When I asked her why she abused herself so, her answer was all at once clear and surprising. She said that she had been in a terrible car accident years ago in which her little brother died, her sister was paralyzed for life, and her mother suffered a shattered jaw and she was miraculously untouched. She said she had so much guilt and no way to get it out that she started starving herself, or purging, or exercising impulsively to feel like she had any kind of control. A month after she had been in the clinic and had managed to combat her eating disorder, she confessed that she had taken up cutting herself because she felt so out of control. She had never gone through the painful process of dealing with her past, instead she denied that she needed help carrying her burden and took to hurting herself to get out the emotions instead.
What I want to know is: how is it that we can be a culture that can endure pain for all manner of cosmetic/esthetic/purging purposes (did you read that they re-approved silicone breast implants this past week?) and yet when it comes to emotional pain, we avoid it by any means? I was reading in the NY Times today about a man who started taking Wellbutrin (mild anti-depressant or SSRI) years ago to quit smoking and continues to take it to this day because “it makes him feel good”. The man has never actually suffered from depression. How is it that we can get botox, piercings, tattoos, plastic surgery all damn day long, we will starve ourselves to death , we will take drugs but when it comes to willingly entering into emotional circumstances that could benefit ourselves or our relationships with others- we opt out. We have grown up in a culture that tells us to bury our feelings deep inside, to take a pill, and that denial is survival. But what so many of us find out sooner or later is that there is no burying, and everything comes out in time. It’s up to us how we deal with it when it comes to the surface- whether we’ll push it back down for a few more years until it becomes insurmountable or deal with it now while we still have our health, our wits, our sanity.
I read this on the Psychology Today website and was really struck by what it said.
"Viewing marriage as a process that unfolds in stages … gives couples cause for hope even in the midst of misery, relieves some of the anxiety that they are not happy now, and gives them an agenda for working out their problems. In addition, it affords couples a realistic perspective of duration—that relationships don't happen overnight but take time. And it helps people abandon the idea of instant gratification. It clues them that you need to go through life making changes."
We're just ordinary people
We don't know which way to go
Cause we're ordinary people
Maybe we should take it slow
Ordinary People- John Legend

6 comments:
i've been thinking about the whole control issue and why samford has such a high eating disorder rate. do you think it has to do with the high standards or with the way that the school takes away basic rights to make choices? i've spent the past week sitting in the library there and i see whole groups of girls who should have died by now they're so skinny. it's so messed up.
i talked to a samford grad the other day after we talked and she said that the reason the statistic is so high is the survey asks a question to the extent of "have you ever been unhappy with your body?" this doesn't discount the fact that many girls (and boys) are depressed by their inability to stack up to the ideal appearance presented in our culture, but it does make me rethink my immediate abhorrence to the statistic you mentioned. just a thought.
-josh
I think it could be a number of things. Part of me thinks it has mostly to do with the fact that the kind of people that go to Samford typically come from high-pressure home environments that have made them feel controlled and inadequate and so the eating disorder appeals to both sides- the need for control and the need for self-esteem. I think that's a big part of it. Another part of it is the high percentage of females that go to Samford to find husbands (i know that sounds like a joke but it really is true). Since there are so many females at the school (I believe it's a 3 to 1 ratio?), it takes a lot to make yourself stand out. I think a lot of girls become really obsessed with being noticed and drives them to starve or binge and purge.
I could be wrong about all that but that's what I've got.
girls have eating disorders because they think they are ugly, and fat. maybe some of them are ugly and fat, but they should still eat. it's a pretty intense sickness that is everywhere. it's also fairly cultural, I think.
my black friends tell me that black women don't have eating disorders, and I think they are telling the truth.
Go white people!
liz,
i dig the new look.
-J.W.
brian- i concur. black women typically don't have eating disorders because most black men have a healthier view of what makes a woman sexy: some damn curves!
i'll be glad when the waif look is out for sure.
josh- gracias. i got bored with the dots. clint said he didn't like the green = ( oh well. what does he know anyway??
Post a Comment