Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I am constantly amazed at how Christians want to make Christianity about everything but Jesus

And how fucking incredible my husband is for having patience for all of those people. I definitely have none.

"And I'm more than just a little curious how you're planning to go about making your amends to the dead... with your halo slipping down to choke you now." The Noose-A Perfect Circle

9 comments:

Mark C Tubbs said...

Ummmmm...I've read his blog and your husband isn't patient. More patient (read "sanctified") than April of this year, but no definition of patience. Just an observation and a backhanded evidence of grace, I suppose. You may wear this on your sleeve as an insult but it's not meant to be; just a reality check. Blessings on you both.

Brian T. Murphy said...

liz - I strongly encourage you to delete the above comment by mark c tubbs. his comment is offensive to me, and no doubt even more offensive to you. he has no relationship with us or our community, and his words do not come from love. they come from something else, and they are worthless.

I know clint, and there is no doubt that he is patient, growing increasingly patient with each passing day.

Liz said...

Mark- I went to your blog and was reading a little bit. Congratulations on being married 7 years. As Clint and I painstakingly make our way to our first anniversary, I very much look forward to being where you are. I also read that you teach English. Very cool. I am a fan of literature and correct grammar, although I seldom use it.



You seem to be a reasonable person (although you do like Kenny Rogers and I'm not sure how I feel about that). Tell me, Mark, how you would feel if your wife had a weblog where she wrote honestly and openly about her struggles in her life whether it be the battles she's fought with you or the battles she's going through with her faith. What if she had come from a church that hurt her very deeply, ostracized her, alienated her, and she was still trying to figure out how she felt about the church, about the bible, about Jesus and was chronicling these things. What if despite her struggles she was able to be a part of making music for a church that she loved and that gave her so much hope. What if someone who didn't know her or anything about her past began openly slandering her to Christians across the world trying to take that hope away from her? What if you heard her reaching out to this person over the phone, trying to make peace and be known for who she really is, DESPITE all of the slander? Would you not think that she is patient?



As I lay in bed the other night pretending to read 1984 I listened as Clint ever so patiently talking with a stranger on the phone who out of no where decided it was not only his business to try and ruin his ability to make music in the Christian industry but to also ruin his relationships with other musicians and church leaders. Clint talked to this man as calmly and as respectfully as he would speak to me. He was totally honest with this man. Maybe too honest if you ask me. And even when this man had the AUDACITY to REBUKE my husband in Jesus name over something as petty as profanity, Clint did not hang up the phone, he did not yell at this man, he simply bore with this man patiently knowing that they would never see eye to eye. If it had been me on that phone, I would have screamed in that man's face and called him a self-righteous asshole, not calmly try and make the man understand me.



Clint is not perfect. I am probably the most informed person to tell you of all the ways he sins against himself and me in a single day. But to say he's not patient or that he does not deal with grace with those persons who would hang him for saying the word 'fuck', well that's just not fair. I feel like most people in his situation would have not dealt so diplomatically with someone seeking to tear apart his work, his relationships, and to call into question his faith over something so inconsequential.



So Mark, all that to say, I hope that you will extend us some grace and realize that we (both Clint and myself) are really messy people. We ARE in the process of sanctification. Yes it is slow, but it's happening. No we're not perfect, but when it comes to Clint having patience with people that don't understand what it's like to be where we are- his redemption is clear.

Mark C Tubbs said...

Liz - thank you for your gracious response. I must say that as of 10:30pm last night I was largely regretting my post. It was a tell-it-like-it-is, which I know does not always (if ever) have a desired/intended/gracious effect.

You have given me a gracious response, so would like to contextualize my first post. I have a friend named Darren Birch, a musician and self-proclaimed messy Christian - a PK gone wrong, I sometimes say. He is a brilliant guy, an anti-establishmentarian, has a massive heart for the poor, and loves Jesus. I should add, he ticks off many folks. We were fast friends. I say 'were' because he has disowned me for being a strait-laced family man who wants to grow in humility and service of my Saviour. I see much of Darren in Clint and much of Clint in Darren. The difference - praise God for this difference - is that Clint has you.

As Brian has mentioned, I have no relationship with your community. And I also agree with Brian, that Clint is growing in patience (and again I would the biblical category of 'sanctification.') O that my brother in Christ Darren would grow in this way too!

For what it's worth, it's really helpful that you provided a context for the blog entry I first responded to. Christian marriage is such a means of grace - what kindness that God would give us 1) someone who loves us warts and all, as you once said, and 2) someone who can both rejoice in our growth and sharpen us for Christ.

Let me be the first to say (after you of course!) that I am too a messy Christian. I have a mask I wear called 'foyer fakery,' and for the most part I can lay it aside in the midst of my fellow believers (I attend a wonderful church). I know the state of my heart: that Christ reigns but sin still stains. Thanks to his sacrifice, I am counted righteous.

I too have had ugly run-ins with church folk, where I asked 'is this really the church?' But I won't go into that right now...

Thanks, Liz, for not casting me out of your blog for good. If God sees fit to cross our paths again (if Brian doesn't object) I would welcome the opportunity to chat further.

Blessings,

Mark

Liz said...

Mark- I am so glad to read your response. Thank you for your words and your empathy. You are welcome here.

I'm sorry to hear about your broken relationship with your friend. I've had similar quandries with my best friend of 15 years, except I am the wayward friend and she is the rock.

I'm really relieved that you can see that despite Clint's inflammatory and somewhat precipitous personality, he is without a doubt in the process of santification. What's ironic is, HE has actually helped ME to believe in Jesus in a more real and meaningful way than I ever thought possible- not the opposite. I'm just the fiesty and protective wife = )

And may I just say that I love that you used the phrase "warts and all". Clint is the only other person I've ever heard use that phrase and I love it.

Thanks again for your response. It really surprised me and gave me hope that good communication can happen over this crazy interweb.

Robert said...

FWIW: I will testify to the fact that Clint has always been very patient with conversation. That is why his blog doesn't offend me (you can see where I disagree with him a bit). I am glad to hear conversations on the phone are taking place. This whole blog/message board thing could be a recipe for disaster.

Happy Aniversary Liz!

Liz said...

Brian- I love how protective you are of Clint. = )

Robert- That means a lot coming from you as you two are quite different.

December 4th baby...I really can't believe it's almost been a year, and that we haven't killed each other yet. Yet.

Robert said...

Liz, we may only be different in age. When I was 23 (heck 26) I had plenty of contempt for all things church authority et al. It's just that, in the blog world, I see him write things that I have said at one time or another (out of anger or frustration for the church), that simply don't make a lot of sense.

In the end, I think "pain" is the friction between our expectations of God and His actual plan for us. Make no mistake, we all heap a ton of expectations on God.

Liz said...

thanks matt = )