Well it’s officially been a year since Clint and I got married. We had a wonderful first anniversary, very chill. I took the day of work and we slept in, had breakfast at the Original Pancake House (I had the French toast, as always, which is fabulous), and spent the rest of the day Christmas shopping for our families. We had dinner at J. Alexanders that night and enjoyed free dessert on the house- gotta love that. Since the first anniversary is represented by paper (we got a ways till we get to silver or gold), Clint gave me an incredible book of photography all done of Paris natives-not touristy bullshit like most other books have, a Paris calendar, and a ‘Building Web Pages for Dummies’ book. Ha. I had actually convinced him that I hadn’t gotten him anything so we went on home and as I was in the kitchen pouring the champagne, I heard him say “You wiener” as he pulled down the covers to find the U2 by U2 book I had hidden there earlier. I don’t know why surprising people makes me so happy, but it totally does.

It’s been a long year, and yet it’s gone by really fast. We’ve moved, I’ve switched jobs, we got a dog, Clint got his eyebrow pierced and I chopped 11 inches off my hair. Not to mention that we’ve both gone through some serious soul searching. I have never felt so incredibly loved and angry at the same time in my entire life. To say it’s been hard would be a colossal understatement. Nothing could have prepared me for seeing the absolute monster that I can be or for realizing that underneath my cynicism there really was an idealist that expected far too much out of everything. But far more than my dismay has been my joy at seeing how much redemption there can be in marriage. Both of us have seen our deepest fears unveiled, our weaknesses, our curses we carry in our blood and souls. It has been such a relief to see those painful, shameful things met with such grace and to know that there’s room for error in this crazy thing called marriage. Thank God.

So here’s to another year, another can of worms, another serving of grace, and a fucking queen sized bed. Cheers.

3 comments:
here here.
well put. and congrats to you! (for the bed I mean)
that last photo there is really cool. year two will be sweet.
glad to know you guys.
bonita- thank you ma'am.
btm- i think that's my favorite picture from our whole wedding. has a lot of motion. and i think you're right about year two. should be a good one considering the prep work...and congrats on the big 5 years for you and brooke! hope you guys have a great time in whistler.
we're glad to know you too, even though you don't say i love you back and it's SO awkward.
Post a Comment