Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Mer de Noms

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I cannot stop listening to this record. I seriously think I've listened to it almost 10 times through in the past 5 days. It's definitely the kind of music that my friend Danielle says "stresses her out", but I can't get enough. I'm probably going to listen to it on my lunch break and on the way home.

And I can’t quite put my finger on what it is I specifically am drawn to, but I freakin’ love it...how angry, intelligent, weird, beautiful, and complicated it is. I love that The Hollow is the first song. The guitar and the drums on this song makes me want to do hard manual labor and relish every drop of sweat. Especially the guitar.

Rose has a really delicate melody about being stuck in a destructive relationship and being scared to get out, set to a hard, mechanical sounding techno background. I love when it gets to the end and Maynard is screaming “I am, I will”.

Judith. I was listening to this on the way home yesterday thinking about what an interesting time we live in where we have songs that say “F*** your God, your Lord, your Christ”. It made me start thinking about what it must have been like to live before Jesus and to constantly be walking that tight rope of the law. It made me think of the liberty we have today, and how deep down I wonder if it’s possible to offend God. Most of the time I think not, but I’m not completely positive. “It's not like you killed someone. It's not like you drove a spiteful spear into his side. Talk to Jesus Christ as if he knows the reasons why. He did it all for you...”. He just keeps repeating that last line and it’s incredible.

3 Libras is a stand out track for me. I love the rise and fall. I couldn’t even tell you what it’s about except for a guess that he’s trying to love someone with a lot of baggage, and all his efforts fall like water on a rock. I love hearing Maynard sing about feeling “disappointed and passed over” At the end of the song he sings over and over “you don’t see me. You don’t see me at all” and it gives me chills.

Sleeping Beauty- Clint pointed this one out to me. It’s about that desire in men to “rescue” women. There are some really great lines on this track like “Drunk on ego. Truly thought I could make it right if I, kissed you one more time…but you're far too poisoned for me. Such a fool to think that I could wake you from your slumber, that I could actually heal you.”

Thinking of You- I won’t say what this song is really about because talking about before just got me on people’s crap list. I will say, that it's one of the hottest songs I've heard in my entire life.

Brena- Beautiful song about vulnerability. Surprisingly mellow. Love the lines “show me lonely and show me openings to lead me closer to you, my dear Breña. Vulnerable but it’s all right. Opening to heal...”

Over- I just love the piano part in this song.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. Yeah, hard core music does stress me out sometimes. But I love it, too. I'm weird like that. Plus, it's pretty much all Gabe listens to these days, so I've grown to like it. :) Cant FREAKIN WAIT for the beach. I'm bringing like a carton of cigs. LOL.

Liz said...

i think you could get into some of the stuff I've been listening to...especially since we're kind of at the same place. = )

i'll be smokin' them with you. can't freakin wait get my ass on the beach with a drink and my girls!!!

Anonymous said...

liz..hey its allison from the mountain church. this is one of my favorites from beginning to end. it makes me think of australia. i bought it prior to.i like orestes best. but thats me. just wanted to say hey. im watching a boring movie so thought id browse the myspaces.

Liz said...

allison- hey! thanks for stopping by the ol' blog. there's a sad thing about orestes, and it's that my cd totally skips on this song so i haven't been able to listen to it all the way through yet. i'm sure that when i do, i will love it though.

australia, eh? i'm terribly jealous! when was that and how long were you there?