Thursday, July 13, 2006

Out of the depths

"Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help."
Psalm 22:11
"Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart have multiplied; free me from my anguish. Look upon my affliction and my distress and take away all my sins."
Psalm 26:16-18
"My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear...My heart pounds, my strength fails me; even the light has gone from my eyes...For I am about to fall, and my pain is ever with me. I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin...Oh Lord do not forsake me; be not far from me, O my God. Come quickly to help me."
Psalm 38
"Awake O Lord! Why do you sleep? Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever. Why do you hide your face and forget our misery and oppression? We are brought down to the dust; our bodies cling to the ground. Rise up and help us; redeem us because of your unfailing love."
Psalm 44:23-26
I don't remember the last time I read the bible, or gave two shits what it said, but I read it today. And though I fight it, I found hope there. Hope in knowing that someone else in this world felt as lonely, as hopeless, and as angry at God as I've felt. It's always good to know you're not alone.

2 comments:

Brian T. Murphy said...

you see, liz, you would think, since I apparently hate the bible, that this post would really bother me. but instead I find a lot of hope here.

not because of the bible verses. I didn't read them.

the hope is in the idea that maybe someday I'll read the bible and it will move me enough to want to share it with someone.

TillmanTillmanTillman said...

You know it's so interesting that I, too(along with BTM) only read your comments at the bottom of the post and not the verses at the top. Why do we avoid God when He is constantly pursuing us? I know he must be pursuing me or I would have long since forgotten about Him. It's a cycle that will probably be repeated over and over until I die, I run from Him, He pulls me back.
Another thought... we Americans are such self-absorbed asses, we have easy access to THE WORD OF GOD, when you think about it's completely overwhelming, but do we read it, no, do we give a shit, no---at least I know I don't most of the time.
-en