Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Tales from Avondale...

To say I’ve been busy these past few months would be an understatement. To give you an example, in two days (last Saturday and this past Tuesday) I did a total of 10 hair clients. About 5 of those were color/cuts and the rest just trims but DAMN, it was some hard work. Very refreshing though. Not the kind of work that leaves me feeling drained and irritable, but feeling successful, prideful, and rightfully tired. Some of my clients these days are people I don’t even know, they just saw someone else’s hair that I did and wanted in on the Liz Well’s Hair Styling Action. Can’t say I blame ‘em really… so yeah, there’s that.

I already let you guys know we bought a house, and that I got a gun (e* I have a S&W “chief’s special”, .38 revolver, snub-nosed, concealed hammer) …. Well we love the house! And there’s been no trouble in the neighborhood. I’ve actually started walking 3 mornings a week around Avondale Park with my friend Leigh and the doggies. They love chasing the ducks in the pond. Surprisingly quiet really, and we have really cool neighbors who just so happen to be the people that sold us the house! And speaking of neighbors: Josh and Abby Westerhold will also soon be neighbors! They came over one Saturday afternoon for some trims and the thought crossed my mind: “I really should show them the house down the street…” So I did. And they totally had a contract on it THE NEXT DAY! Cheers to fabulous neighbors! So overall I would say home owning has been a positive and successful venture so far and I’m excited to see what Avondale looks like in the coming years.

December 4th was our 2nd year Anniversary. We both took the day off of work and did some Christmas shopping and rushed home to get our fix of Season 1 of the OC. Yes, we watched the OC on our anniversary and totally loved it. So dig it. Two years. God, I can’t believe the difference it’s made in me. And while my progress may look like inches to others, inside it feels like miles and miles. I can remember breaking down on Clint so many times those first few months over the craziest stuff. I don’t think we’ll ever forget the time I had been doing our laundry about 6 weeks in, then Clint came home and I made us both lunch, and before I could even take a bite I was hysterically crying, pushing away my plate saying, “I can’t do this! I won’t be your slave!”

Clint’s face was priceless… totally that ‘deer in the headlights’ look of “Liz, what the fuck are you talking about?”

Unbeknownst to him, I had sat and watched my mother wait on my father hand and foot my whole life and him taking advantage of her selfless devotion to him. I had vowed I would never let a man use me like that, or take advantage of the things I had to offer. But instead of thinking logically through the fact that Clint isn’t my dad, and I am not my mother I had lashed out and completely cussed out and confused my poor new husband.

Similarly but on a different occasion, we had been out one night and had a great time. We were going to come in and pop in a movie, have some wine and chill out. I walk into the kitchen to put down my purse and keys when Clint calls out from the living room:

“Hey make us some cookies will you?”

I totally had a Bruce Banner moment where my head exploded, my whole body turned green, and all my clothes ripped off (except of course for the cutoff jeans) and I yelled back:

“Hey, why don’t you make your own fucking cookies??”

Whew! I am a crazy one I tell you. I really think Clint is the only person on earth that could possibly deal with all of my neurotic fears and outbursts. Thank you dear, for all of your love and your patience. Here’s to another two years, and to the rest of our lives together!

Other big news: Clint’s going all music next year. He’s already got tours planned densely from February until May. One of those is a trip to San Francisco which I will actually be able to tag along on!! So for all you peoples out there that have been to San Fran and have restaurant, bed/breakfast, things to do suggestions please feel free to leave them here. This will be the first big trip we’ve taken since we got married.

Well that’s all I’ve got for right now. If I don’t write again before then I hope you all have a very peaceful and relaxing Christmas with family and people you love. Clint will be playing with Loose Stone at Café Firenze Christmas Day night around 10 so if you’re tired of turkey and napping, there’s that. And don’t forget: The Spots are playing at Speakeasy New Years Eve. It’s going to be a fantastic show that you won’t want to miss.

Until next time,

Love, Peace, and Ron Paul 2008!

“It’s getting better all the time”

4 comments:

Carla Jean said...

I am one of those trims! And I LOOOOOOOOOOVE it. I am getting just as many compliments on my hair now as I was when I initially chopped it all off. You're fabulous.

(And I love your house. And your dog. Etc.)

(I also love hearing these tales from marriage. They are good, and beautiful, and encouraging.)

Suzanne Owen Jones said...

Loved seeing you last night. Cj and I spoke of y'all today. We need to hang out more.

Rae Whitlock said...

I've been waiting for a lizwells update for months. 'Bout time. :-)

Brian T. Murphy said...

nice update, liz.