Tuesday, January 29, 2008

'Cause Everyone is Going to Die Alone...

We are now on day 27 with no heat. We’ve left the Westerholds and have been staying with my parents for the past week now. The warranty people still haven’t responded to our latest efforts to settle. Today will be the straw that broke the camel’s back. If we don’t hear back today, or don’t hear what we want, we’ll be forced to step things up a notch. Ugh, I’m seriously considering calling 6 on your Side.

My great aunt died night before last. While that may seem sad in itself, I must say the magnitude of its effect will truly only be felt by one woman: my grandmother. My grandmother was one of 14 children, born somewhere in the middle, and as of two nights ago is the last living remnant of that family. Can you imagine outliving 13 of your brothers and sisters on top of losing your husband and oldest child? Can you imagine how lonely that must feel? And let me just tell you, she was definitely the last to know. NO one wanted the responsibility of being the bearer of that bad news. And yet, as Clint and I sat down to dinner that night I heard my mother pick up the phone. After a few minutes of frivolities, I hear my mother say the words, “Jean is dead Mom. She died last night in her sleep.”

My Mom’s a pretty brave woman if you ask me.

Not much else going on. We’re leaving town Friday for California. I can’t freaking wait. Hopefully I’ll be a little more mellow when I come back, and maybe I’ll have a cool picture or two. Until then here’s to vacations, wine, friends, and Red Mountain Music.

1 comment:

Under The Mountain said...

Day TWENTY-SEVEN?!?!?

Time to get a lawyer.

Just think how much you would have paid NOT to get a home warranty when you bought your house if you knew you were in for this!