Fred Thompson, the former Tennessee senator and Law & Order star said of the Iranian boat crews: "I think one more step and they would have been introduced to those virgins that they're looking forward to seeing." The crowd cheered.
I was forwarded an email about a month ago called: Can a Muslim be a Good President? The litany that followed was based on incorrect information and bloated bias and was peppered with Christian ideas. But that wasn’t even what made me angry. As I neared the bottom of the indictment of all Muslims, it said:
“Barrack Obama, a Muslim, wants to be our next president!!”
I can understand wanting to share an opinion, but for Christ’s sake if you’re going to rake some mud at least get your fucking facts straight. Barrack Obama is a CHRISTIAN. He was baptized in the Church of Christ. His father, who at one time WAS a Muslim, renounced his faith and became an atheist later in life.
For a “Christian” forward, it sure did sound like a hate message to me.
A lot of things scare me about the American government: a mounting deficit, a sense of entitlement to infringe on its peoples' inalienable rights, a piss poor foreign policy, and the lack of preparation for the impending windfall of baby boomers hitting 65 over the next two decades. But what scares me more than anything is how the Republican Party is bolstered by the support of bullshit fundamentalist Christian macho ‘Americanism’. That, “We’ll put a boot in your ass it’s the American way” kind of mentality. I am a firm believer in separation of church and state, but even if I wasn’t, this strange, misguided nationalism is not Christian in any sort of way. It’s hateful and twisted. It’s got a hair trigger and a closed mind. I hate it that this is what politics in evangelical Christendom look like: anti-choice, anti-gay rights, pro war, pro hating of anyone that doesn’t fit into our polished little box. It’s not only NOT Christ-like but it’s just plain CRAZY. And frankly not even Hillary with her one payer system and on-demand water works display scare me more than Republicans Mike Huckabee and Fred Thompson.

6 comments:
So how would you have answered the question about the Iranian boats?
I don't think there ever were any iranian boats.
well said, liz.
utm - (Not surprisingly) I really liked Ron Paul's response:
"Let’s put it in perspective. We have five small speedboats attacking the U.S. Navy with a Destroyer? They could take care of those speedboats in about five seconds. And here we’re ready to start World War III over this? … You know there are people in this administration and in Washington, D.C., that are looking for the chance to bomb Iran," the 10-term Texas congressman said.
"I’m worrying about the policy of why we’re looking for a justification. … I mean, we’re already, with our CIA, being involved in trying to overthrow that government, and we don’t need another war. And this incident should not be thrown out of proportion to the point where we’re getting ready to attack Iran over this," Paul said.
btm - you're probably right. and thanks.
Not that I think the speedboat incident means we should . . . or would . . . attack Iran (there are plenty of better reasons already extant to do that, though it still doesn't seem like a good idea right now), but . . . .
U.S.S. Cole, anyone? Small boats can be a threat to large Navy ships.
btm--maybe there wasn't a Navy ship, either. Maybe both sides of the whole story were made up.
i'm just saying that it's offensive to me that the conversation was immediately steered towards the candidates making religious slurs and overcompensating a simple yes or no question with bullshit macho talk. it was unnecessary and inflammatory and it scares me how the crowd responded with cheers.
Liz - really interesting post. I agree with you that the REALLY scary part was the crowd cheering after the show of machismo. What the hell is wrong with people?! Are we as a people so numbed to violence that we would cheer the death of others not like us? This feels like a really f*cked up time in history.
Post a Comment