I really don't ask this at all light-heartedly, because this is an issue near and dear to my heart, but: what do you mean by "better"? Morally better, after years of struggling with a secret sin? Physically better, after a long, chronic illness? Mentally better, after years of substance abuse and mind-altering prescription drugs?
I'm sorry, Matthew - your statement seems incredibly simplistic. In my experience, it's just the opposite. People - especially people I know well and love very dearly - rarely get better. If and when they do, it's a miracle.
However. I have learned more truth, experienced more love, and seen Christ more fully in people who are utterly broken, desperately sorrowful, endlessly struggling with sin, and suffering. Healthy, whole, comfortable, righteous people don't need Jesus so much. You know? So maybe "better" ain't all it's cracked up to be.
It has been a long journey for me, to be able to make that statement above, and even now my hand shakes a little as I type it.
get better at a skill, like musicianship? possibly why? the repetition that is part of practice usually leads to getting better.
get better when they get sick? possibly why? there are many reasons in both directions. too many to get into, here.
grow ("get better spiritually") in sanctification, through the Holy Spirit in one's life, etc? yes why? I'll cite the Bible. Too much to expound upon here. :)
"get better" morally, apart from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit? no. why? I'll also cite the Bible.
I'm not completely sure what you're asking, though.
to matthew- but is the root of what drives the criminal to commit crimes, the alchoholics to imbibe, and the murderers to kill ever really...healed? and i really don't mean the whole: are we all really born evil question...it's more like: can we ever really get to the heart of what drives us to hurt people, to hurt ourselves, and to sabotage what could really be a decent life in a shitty world and change it? that even if our behavior has been washed and pressed, can we really be considered "better" if the heart of the problem really exists?
and to you CK- i mean better in th way i said it above: is it possible to actually change the heart of the problem or do we spend our whole lives throwing band-aids on symptoms? i think i would indeed say that if and when it does happen, that its definitely a miracle.
Liz, I think it is possible to change the heart of the problem (aptly said because the heart is the problem!) When I look at where I came from and where I am, I'm so humbled that the God of the Universe would stoop to take notice of me. I'm not perfect, not even a little bit close, but I'm not what I was before I knew Him. "Better" is a word that can always spawn a philosophical debate and I only know what I was and what I am, but I'd have to say that even as I sin, even in my unbelief, even as I struggle against the curse that I'll feel until I get to Heaven, I am better because of Him.
-
i just need to acknowledge that i have the most insanely kind and beautiful
friends. i am just waking up to this, i had forgotten it. i knew it before,
but...
Katie Deter – The Brooklyn Sessions
-
A few months ago, a friend posted a video of Katie singing the classic
Stephen Foster song, “hard times” and I immediately was surprised and drawn
in by Ka...
What Brings Us Together
-
Many similarities exist between our daily lives in Florida and our daily
lives here, and between the people here and the people back home. More
brings us t...
Lucy the Valiant
-
This past Monday, I buried my lab Lucy.
Lucy was very sick for about 5 days. We knew something was wrong when she
didn't want to eat one morning, and ...
Raves!
-
In case any of you peeps were wondering - Weight Watchers works! I have
lost FIFTY pounds since my little girl was born 4 months ago. I joined WW 2
weeks a...
9 comments:
There are certain things I just believe because I want to believe them.
Believing that people are getting better is one of those things. Even in the midst of a lot of evidence to the contrary, I still believe it.
Raging alcoholics get dry, criminals become law-abiding citizens, and murderers turn into people seeking peace and love.
What's the question behind your question?
I really don't ask this at all light-heartedly, because this is an issue near and dear to my heart, but: what do you mean by "better"? Morally better, after years of struggling with a secret sin? Physically better, after a long, chronic illness? Mentally better, after years of substance abuse and mind-altering prescription drugs?
I'm sorry, Matthew - your statement seems incredibly simplistic. In my experience, it's just the opposite. People - especially people I know well and love very dearly - rarely get better. If and when they do, it's a miracle.
However. I have learned more truth, experienced more love, and seen Christ more fully in people who are utterly broken, desperately sorrowful, endlessly struggling with sin, and suffering. Healthy, whole, comfortable, righteous people don't need Jesus so much. You know? So maybe "better" ain't all it's cracked up to be.
It has been a long journey for me, to be able to make that statement above, and even now my hand shakes a little as I type it.
get better, at what, specifically?
get better at a skill, like musicianship? possibly why? the repetition that is part of practice usually leads to getting better.
get better when they get sick? possibly why? there are many reasons in both directions. too many to get into, here.
grow ("get better spiritually") in sanctification, through the Holy Spirit in one's life, etc? yes why? I'll cite the Bible. Too much to expound upon here. :)
"get better" morally, apart from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit? no. why? I'll also cite the Bible.
I'm not completely sure what you're asking, though.
woah. looks like CK and I must be on the same page. weird. haha.
CK, no need to slam me. I responded simplistically to a simplistic question.
to matthew- but is the root of what drives the criminal to commit crimes, the alchoholics to imbibe, and the murderers to kill ever really...healed? and i really don't mean the whole: are we all really born evil question...it's more like: can we ever really get to the heart of what drives us to hurt people, to hurt ourselves, and to sabotage what could really be a decent life in a shitty world and change it? that even if our behavior has been washed and pressed, can we really be considered "better" if the heart of the problem really exists?
and to you CK- i mean better in th way i said it above: is it possible to actually change the heart of the problem or do we spend our whole lives throwing band-aids on symptoms? i think i would indeed say that if and when it does happen, that its definitely a miracle.
Liz, I think it is possible to change the heart of the problem (aptly said because the heart is the problem!) When I look at where I came from and where I am, I'm so humbled that the God of the Universe would stoop to take notice of me. I'm not perfect, not even a little bit close, but I'm not what I was before I knew Him. "Better" is a word that can always spawn a philosophical debate and I only know what I was and what I am, but I'd have to say that even as I sin, even in my unbelief, even as I struggle against the curse that I'll feel until I get to Heaven, I am better because of Him.
Su
Sorry, Matthew, I didn't mean to "slam" you. I was just being Captain of the Obvious, I guess.
Post a Comment