Monday, March 05, 2007

24, and I don't mean the show...

I turned 24 on Saturday. I occurred to me that next year I will turning a quarter of a century years old. THAT, my friends, is weird.

Aside from the fact that Clint was out of town, it was a good weekend. Saturday, my mom, my aunt Terri and I crammed into my mom's Ford Ranger (correction, they sat, I crammed myself into the cubby--not the seat--in the back where my mom's 170 pound Great Dane usually rides. Awesome) and drove to Atlanta where we spent the whole day shopping at IKEA and West Elm (my new favorite of favorite stores). I got a new dining table and chairs , and I'm gonna be honest: they're pretty fantastic. See for yourself:

The actual chairs look like the one on the far right with no arms. Very comfy.

So anyway, clearly after a whole day of shopping we had acquired a lot of stuff. The bed of the truck was being occupied by the dining table and chairs so in order to get home with the rest of the stuff, I had to climb into the cubby, and my mom and aunt literally packed all of our shit up around me so that I could not move from the middle hump. They climbed in the truck and got ready to go and I looked at both of them and said, "Alright, time to stop at a gas station. Liz is getting drunk for the ride home." Two Smirnoff Ices, a Chik-fil-a sandwich, and some AC in my face later and I no longer felt like having a claustrophobic meltdown. We laughed and talked the whole way home.

I mean, do birthdays really get any better than that? No way folks. No way.

5 comments:

ersatz said...

that was really cool and considerate of your mother. that is how my family always travels (plus a dog), and no one has ever offered me drinks. and we travel long distances only stopping every 4 hours.

i really like your table, and i'm looking forward to this weekend, when i get to play with the 'registry gun' at target. i win.

Liz said...

haha, yeah that's how it is with my dad. he's SO anal about getting going right at a specific time and not stopping as much as possible. it really ruins the trip most of the time. clint can actually be like that too...

and as much beef as i've had with my mom, i really like hanging out with her. she does really cool, considerate things for me a lot. like, painting my entire apartment for me. that was incredible.

OOH the registry gun is SO MUCH FUN! i think it's the only thing that kept clint from getting the 'glazed over, i want a cheeseburger to drown out my boredome' look when we registered.

you coming to hang with us on saturday night? eh eh?

ersatz said...

i think so, but i haven't heard a definitive from 'the decider.' my hope is yes, and i think she told me about it, so that's good.

Kelly said...

of course we're coming!!! I get to see you 2 times this week, liz :) I giggled at the fact that I get the title of 'decider'

Liz said...

are you coming to CG too?? oh i'm so excited! this is going to be a fabulous week.