Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sometimes small things make all the difference

I am married to a musician. This means a lot of things, but mostly it means that there will be stretches where I spend a lot of time on my own. This arrangement works out well most of the time. I paint, I do hair, I work out, I landscape, I play with my dog, and I hang out with friends and my family.

But sometimes though, there are not enough things to fill the day, and I feel the stab of aimlessness that comes from being one half of a whole unit living out too many consecutive solitary days. In those moments I am always surprised at how our friends, our community swoop in to make me feel... well, not so alone. And most of the times it’s really small things, like, a sentence being said at just the right time. I could list off the ones that have brought me comfort in the past two days, but I won’t. I’ll just smile quietly to myself, thankful that they were said.

No comments: