Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sountrack of our Lives

I've been writing to an old friend of mine struggling with some things over the past few weeks. Recently she asked me to tell her about the struggles Clint and I went through when we were dating and engaged and how we pushed through. I wrote her back a long email, and there is still so much more to write but as I typed this out I realized I'd never really verbalized this before:

I love that there’s a soundtrack to our history: in the beginning it was The Smiths and Mos Def. Then it was Patty Griffin’s 1,000 kisses, Let Go by Frou Frou, Crush by Dave Matthews, Green Eyes by Coldplay, and Rainslicker by Josh Ritter. In those first few months he turned me onto U2, Pedro the Lion, and Pearl Jam – it was a really intoxicating time.


"your eyes were so patient and calm
and green as the grass that might
grow on the 23rd psalm"
Josh Ritter, Rainslicker

"lovely lady, i am at your feet
god i want you so badly
and i wonder this
could tomorrow be so wonderous
as you there sleeping
let's go drive till morning comes
watch the sunrise
and fill our souls up"
dave matthews band ~ crush

"you are beautiful, eyes like doves, oh my love
you have lips like jewels, hair of gold, oh my love
wild as a vine is your love
but better than wine is your love
better than wine is your love
is your love
i tell you, my beloved
you cannot be replaced
with my left hand beneath your head
and my right arm around your waist
so take a deep breath
cause i feel a little drunk
but i'm in my right mind, love
and i know your love is so much
better than wine is your love
is your love"
derek webb ~ better than wine


this is the first day of my life
i swear i was born right in the doorway
i went out in the rain
and suddenly everything changed
there spreading blankets on the beach
yours is the first face i saw
i think i was blind before i met you
i dont know where i am and i dont know where ive been
but i know where i want to go
so i thought id let you know
these things take forever, i especially am slow
but i realized that i need you
and i wondered if i could come home
remember the time you drove all night
just to meet me in the morning
and i thought it was strange
you said everything changed
you felt as if you had just woken up
and you said this is the first day of my life
i'm glad i didnt die before i met you
but now i dont care, i could go anywhere
with you and i'd probably be happy
so if you want to be with me
with these things theres no telling
we just have to wait and see
but id rather be working for a paycheck
than waiting to win the lottery
besides maybe this time its different
i mean, i think you really like me."
bright eyes ~ First Day Of My Life

"day breaks and every morning when he wakes
he thinks of you"
elliot smith

"you're fast asleep
but i love you now."
ryan adams ~ i see monsters

"I have a smile
stretched from ear to ear
to see you walking down the road
we meet at the lights
I stare for a while
the world around us disappears
it's just you and me
on my island of hope
a breath between us could be miles
let me surround you
my sea to your shore
let me be the calm you seek
oh and every time I'm close to you
there's too much I can't say
and you just walk away
and I forgot
to tell you
I love you
and the night's
too long
and cold here
without you
I grieve in my condition
for I cannot find the words to say i need you so
oh and every time I'm close to you
there's too much I can't say
and you just walk away
and I forgot
to tell you
I love you
and the night's
too long
and cold here
without you
I grieve in my condition
for I cannot find the words to say I need you so"
sarah mclaclan ~ i love you

"You can run from love
And if it’s really love it will find you
Catch you by the heel
But you can’t be numb for love
The only pain is to feel nothing at all
How can I hurt when I’m holding you?

And you feel like no one before
You steal right under my door
I kneel ‘cos I want you some more
I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you’re not"
u2 ~ a man and a woman

2 comments:

Clint Wells said...

We have so many years of songs left. Looking forward to them. I love you love.

Jessica said...

Very awesome post. You guys are great. It's totally appropriate to attribute music to life moments; and it's refreshing to see songs that aren't your "every day". It's more personal. That is all. :-)